Spirituality concerns one’s belief, their relationship with others and with a God. We believe this can be explored through these four elements: self; others; transcendence and awe and wonder. These elements form the basis of our work with children in developing a strong sense of spirituality.
- Exploration of personal faith and a right to express our views through discussions and debates.
- Reflect and express our feelings within and outside the classroom.
- Happiness with who we are and celebrating the qualities we all have.
- Gratitude for the things we have and the person we are.
- Development of imagination and creativity through our work and during play.
- Encountering/experiencing God (having a sense of what lies beyond the material/physical).
- Opportunities for prayer: during worship, quiet reflection time to connect with God.
- Ability to formulate and discuss the ‘Big Questions’ (eg about life, death, suffering, nature of God). Opportunities through weekly discussions in class.
- Making sense of the world through our broad and balanced curriculum.
- Respect, tolerance and looking after our peers.
- To love and be loved (loving your neighbour)
- Duty; supporting the local community through different projects.
- Overseas: links with our Kavuka school in Africa
Awe and Wonder
- Developing a sense of awe and wonder
- Enjoying the miracles of everyday life: experiencing the joy of nature and natural tools through countryside sills.
- Taking time for what really matters: having time to think, reflect and enjoy the here and now.
- Appreciating beauty in art, music, nature.
Can you fit these scripture references in somehow? Could each class have a verse that is connected to their Spirituality book?
Link between our values and fruits of the spirit Galations 5: 22-23
Collossians 3: 12 So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
John 14:1 Do not let your heart be troubled believe in God, believe also in me
Psalm 139:14 I will give thanks to you because I have been so amazing and miraculously made.
Proverbs 19:8 The one who gets wisdom loves life; the one who cherishes understanding will soon prosper.
Mark 12:30 - 31 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this “Love your neighbour as you love yourself.” There is no commandment greater than this.
Romans 12:10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honour one another above yourselves.